Thursday, January 24, 2008

The surgery

OK, so let's talk about what the surgery was like. I arrived at 8:30am, checked in and had a seat. I was expecting to wait about an hour (my procedure was scheduled for 9:30, but I was asked to arrive at 8:30). 10 minutes later, I was called in for the surgery, and asked to remove any metal objects - belt, keys, watch, etc. Next, the nurse introduced herself, and asked me on which eye I was having surgery today. I told her that it was my left eye, and she stuck a little sticker above my left eye. Then, I was given a consent form to sign which said I was having surgery on my left eye - scleral buckle and cryopexy.

After having dismissed with these formalities, we got down to some more medical stuff. I used the restroom, then came back and had my temperature and blood pressure recorded. I was asked to lay down, and warm, heavy blankets were placed on my torso. A monitor was placed on my right index finger, and my left arm and hand were tucked under the heavy blankets.

Soon the IV was introduced to my hand. I asked what the sedative that they would be using today and the nurse told me that it would be Versed. Within a few minutes of the administration of the Versed through the IV, I began to feel very calm and relaxed. A few minutes later (or so it seemed), my surgeon came to say "hi" and began to wheel me into the operating room. Soon after (I think...by this point I was a bit disoriented, but not unpleasantly so) I was given three injections of local anesthetic into the area around my eye. One of these must have gone towards my optic nerve, as I soon realized that I could no longer see much out of my left eye.

During this whole time, the only pain I experienced was the bite of the local anesthetic, and that really wasn't that bad. The Versed made it all totally doable. Also, I was completely able to converse with the surgeon and the assisting nurse. I believe I actually told a joke about something cute my three-year-old daughter said the other day. I also asked if it would be OK if I closed my eyes. The doctor said that was fine, and that my left eye was now paralyzed, so it would stay open.

He was right - it "felt" like I then closed both eyes, but I was vaguely aware that my left eye was open. I could see some shapes, although the best way I can describe what I could see out of my anesthetized eye would be "embossed". It was if everything was dark gray in color, but I could see some outlines of things as if they were run through Adobe Photoshop's "emboss" filter. So, I could see the surgeon "paint" my eye with something, and move it around a bit, but I couldn't really comprehend all of it, because of the sedative.

The rest of the surgery progressed like that. I was aware of what was happening, but just accepted it and I think dozed off a few times. I asked a few questions here and there. I could hear the cryoplexy being applied, and asked if that's what I heard. My brain recorded that the surgeon was using a "220" buckle, and that it sounded like they hadn't used it at this (new) surgery center yet. I heard him ask for assistance with sutures, etc. It was all really very interesting.

Near the end, I commented that I was almost "enjoying" the experience, and said that I felt comfortable and understood what was going on, but that I didn't feel like I had to comment on anything out loud. The surgeon made a joke: "Good! I'm glad you didn't feel you had to tell us how to do the procedure : )". I joked back: "well, I was wondering if you were going to go with the 220 or maybe something different!". He and the nurse started cracking up, and I was then wheeled out to recovery.

In recovery, my vitals were checked, and I was inclined so my back was more upright. The nurse brought my wife in, and I was offered orange or apple juice (I chose apple). Even though I was on an IV, I was still thirsty (although I found my lips were no longer chapped!). My nurse then said something very surprising: she said that my surgeon was "brilliant" and asked me how I found him ("he's the best."). Now, I work in healthcare, and I have /never/ heard a nurse speak this way about a doctor.

I recovered for another 15 minutes or so (or so it felt), and my wife went to get the car. A nurse held my arm and I walked with her to the car. I got in to the passenger seat and drove home with my wife. To tell you the truth..I can't remember what happened for most of the rest of the day. I think I took a nap, but there are a few gaps, probably due to the sedative.

So there you have it. A first hand account of a really great outpatient eye surgery experience. Next up, I'll blog about the post-op visit and what my recovery was like.

No comments: